Become an Electrical Engineer

WE provide the Tools.

YOU provide the commitment.

It's hard to imagine a world without electricity. Electricity binds our world together. It helps people connect with one another as it transmits both power and information. Electrical engineers do more than just power your cell phone and make sure your lights come on.


As an electrical engineer, you could work with many different kinds of electromagnetic fields. Transmit and interpret digital signals that send information to your cell phone. Generate microwaves that can help detect breast cancer and the light waves used by night vision technology.


You could help maintain and expand the networks that send information over the internet. Control navigation of airplanes and ships. Even power complex medical devices, like MRI scanners. With a degree in electrical engineering, you could work in many different fields, including biomedicine, communications and the defense industry. Graduates from the University of Arkansas's EE program have gone on to work for Sprint, Boeing, Intel, Texas Instruments, and Northrop-Grumman.


Over the last couple of years, the labs have been restructured to make each student's senior design experience more successful by integrating practical design aspects and real-world experience through industry sponsorship and cooperation.

The way we generate and use electricity is becoming faster, more efficient, and safer for the environment. You could be at the center of this energy revolution. Designing smart electrical grids that can help us conserve energy. Finding means for the harvesting of sustainable power.


Creating products that use electricity in new ways that Thomas Edison never imagined. Electricity transforms and improves our world, and it connects people to one another. It is the job of electrical engineers to maintain this vital resource.


Electrical Engineering at the University of Arkansas

  • Lab Experience - The U of A EE education involves hands-on laboratory experience that enhances the ideas and concepts taught in the classroom.
  • Design Projects - In a two-semester senior design project, you will move from the initial design stage to the finished working product, using what you have learned in the EE program.
  • Undergraduate Research - You will have the opportunity to collaborate with leading research professors in state-of-the-art laboratories and often get paid for your work.
  • Accreditation - Our EE program has offered a BSEE degree for over 100 years and has been continuously accredited by ABET since 1936.
  • Study Abroad - As an EE student, you will have many opportunities to expand your education through study abroad in India, Iceland, France, Italy and many other countries.
  • Student Organizations - As an EE student, you can become involved in several organizations. Examples include IEEE, Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi, IEEE Power Electronics Society, and Arkansas Robotics Club.

Does the work pay off?

The average U of A electrical engineering graduate earns a starting salary of $77,425.


According to pay scale, electrical engineers can earn up to $111,672 annually.

The median entry-level salary is $73,038 and experienced engineers earn $110,000.


The following table shows the distribution of incomes among electrical engineers for May 2017. This data comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The table indicates, for example, that 90% of electrical engineers make less than $150,340 per year, and that the remaining 10% earn more than this amount. The table refers to salaries of all electrical engineers in May 2017, not just to starting salaries.


Percent Less Than 10% 25% 50% 75% 90%
Salary $59,720 $73,910 $94,210 $119,690 $149,040