Dr. Yue Zhao received a Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, USA, in 2014. He was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), Richmond, USA, in 2014-2015. Since August 2015, he has been with the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, where he is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering. He is also affiliated with NSF I/UCRC on GRid-connected Advanced Power Electronics Systems (GRAPES) and National Center for Reliable Electric Power Transmission (NCREPT) at the University of Arkansas.
Dr. Zhao's current research interests include electric machines and drives, power electronics, and renewable energy systems. His research is current sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF), Department of Energy (DOE), Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) and Industry. He holds 4 U.S. patents and co-authored more than 40 papers in refereed journals and international conference proceedings. Dr. Zhao is an Associated Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications.
Dr. Zhao was a recipient of 2018 National Science Foundation CAREER Award. He was a recipient of the Best Paper Prize of the 2012 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo.
Dr. Zhao is currently looking for one post-doctoral researcher in power electronics area and multiple self-motivated graduate research assistants in power electronics, control and/or power system starting from Fall 2018. If you are interested or have any questions, please email me.
- Power electronics
- Electric machines and drives
- Renewable energy systems
- Microgrids and smart grids
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Beijing University of Aero. & Astro., Beijing, China
- Y. Zhao, W. Qiao, and L. Wu, “Dead-Time effect analysis and compensation for a sliding-mode position observer-Based sensorless IPMSM control system,” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 2528-2535, May-June 2015.
- Y. Zhao, Z. Zhang, W. Qiao, and L. Wu, “An extended flux model-based rotor position estimator for sensorless control of salient-pole permanent-magnet synchronous machines,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 4412-4422, Aug. 2015.
- Z. Zhang, Y. Zhao, W. Qiao, and L. Qu, “A discrete-time direct-torque control for direct-drive PMSG-based wind energy conversion systems,” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 3504-3514, July-Aug. 2015.
- Y. Zhao, W. Qiao, and L. Wu “Improved rotor position and speed estimators for sensorless control of interior permanent magnet synchronous machines,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 627-639, Sept. 2014.
- Z. Zhang, Y. Zhao, W. Qiao, and L. Qu, “A space-vector modulated sensorless direct-torque control for direct-drive PMSG wind turbines,” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 2331-2341, Jul./Aug. 2014.
- Y. Zhao, W. Qiao, and D. Ha, “A sliding-mode duty-ratio controller for DC/DC buck converters with constant power loads,” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 1448-1458, Mar/Apr 2014.
- Y. Zhao, W. Qiao, and L. Wu, “An adaptive quasi sliding-mode rotor position observer-based sensorless control for interior permanent magnet synchronous machines,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 5618-5629, Dec. 2013.
- Y. Zhao, C. Wei, Z. Zhang, and W. Qiao, “A review on position/speed sensorless control for permanent magnet synchronous machine-based wind energy conversion systems,” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 203-216, Dec. 2013.
2018 National Scienece Foundation CAREER Award